Breaking Down the Numbers: Hiring Internally vs Outsourcing Technology Management
As We Head Towards a Normal That Looks Different Than Before, Organizations Embracing a Combination of Remote and In-Office Workers Will Require Greater Expertise and Breadth of Services from Their Technology Departments.
As the coronavirus pandemic subsides and lockdowns are lifted, we’re heading towards a normal that looks very different from what we had back in February 2020. Although some are eager to get back into the office, others are nervous and would prefer to continue working remotely. In reality, this transition will likely involve a combination of the two: some employees in the office while others are at home to ensure physical distance amongst team members at all times. This means that technology departments will need to be prepared to manage the two environments seamlessly.
Aside from the usual on-premises technology monitoring, maintenance, and support, they will need to have the expertise and breadth of services necessary to assist organizations with the following:
- Implementing and supporting cloud-based solutions for remote workers to access data, applications, and systems from home.
- Security solutions that work for home computers and networks for protection against cybercrime including malware, phishing and many other threats.
- Device management for corporate and personal devices to access resources without invading privacy.
- Technical support for assistance with troubleshooting to stay productive.
So what makes the most sense: hiring an internal technology department or outsourcing to a managed services provider (MSP) for a flat-rate monthly fee?
It’s all about positioning yourself to recover and restore normal operations while ensuring you’re prepared to thrive, despite an economic downturn…
As lockdowns are lifted, information technology will play a pivotal role in helping organizations recover and restore their normal operations, but beyond that, information technology will be integral to ensuring they’re prepared to thrive. As an economic downturn is imminent, many organizations are facing important decisions – one of which is the age-old question: should you hire internally or outsource to a third-party?
There’s one thing we know for certain: whatever you choose, make sure they’re capable of helping you make the right decisions to bounce back – and at an affordable rate. After all, nearly all businesses are aiming to cut costs and reserve cash flow right now. First and foremost, think about the value of both options. Any investment should be considered in terms of value brought to the organization.
For some, hiring an internal person is well worth the cost because they’re able to count on having someone in the office – day in and day out – to assist them. For others, outsourcing is a valuable decision because they have access to an entire team of qualified professionals. Let’s take a look at the cost of each decision.
A look at the cost of hiring an internal person or department to manage your information technology…
Although an internal person or department gives you a dedicated resource, it’s a more expensive option as you’re paying:
- Vacation time
- Sick days
- Training and certifications
These numbers add up quickly. The new person will require time to ramp up and learn company processes, and if they don’t work out, this leads to another costly hire and training process for another individual. Your average investment is $80,000.00 per year, per individual hired.
A look at the cost of outsourcing to an MSP to manage your information technology…
When you choose an MSP, you gain access to an entire team of technology professionals who offer a range of services for a flat-rate monthly fee:
- Around-the-clock monitoring
- Regular maintenance
- Data backups
- Help desk support
- And much more
Plans average around $100 per employee, per month, and plans range from basic monitoring and maintenance on the lower end to more complex requirements, including data backup and cybersecurity, on the higher end. You pay less and you get much more for every dollar spent.
- Support around-the-clock whenever you need it because there’s an entire team, as opposed to one or two individuals, who can assist you at all times. They won’t go away on vacation or take a sick day and leave you without help.
- Breadth of services with various vendor relationships as outsourced providers tend to hold a range of partnerships with leading manufacturers – meaning they can access better prices for hardware and software.
- More organized processes and procedures as they’ve likely worked with a multitude of clients over the years, which means they’ve had time to create well-documented processes and procedures for onboarding, backups, and more.
Does exploring this option make sense for your needs? Contact us today to schedule your first conversation and see if you qualify.
Advantage Industries is a Managed Security Service Provider (MSSP) providing practical networking and software solutions, as well as web site and application creation services. For nearly two decades, Advantage has worked collaboratively with hundreds of clients in understanding complex business processes, identifying needs, and providing recommendations tied with sound technology solutions custom-tailored to their business.