Should You Continue With Internal IT In A Post-COVID-19 World?
Regardless of when the COVID-19 pandemic will end, CFOs need to start planning for it now – a primary concern will be to what extent you continue with remote work, and whether that will call for a different model of IT support.
It may take some time for the world to get back to normal. We’re around two months into the COVID-19 pandemic, and the end is not in sight. And while we can be confident that it will end, when it does, your business probably won’t go back to the way it was before.
Have you given any thought to the way your business will operate in a post-pandemic world?
Other CFOs have – according to 317 CFOs recently surveyed by Gartner, the business world may not change back when the pandemic is over:
- 74% of CFOs say they expect to move previously on-site employees remote post-COVID-19
- 81% of CFOs plan to exceed their contractual obligations to hourly workers and to fund that they are using remote work to offer flexible schedules and maintain operations.
- 90% of CFOs said their accounting close operations will be able to run effectively without disruptions off-site.
- 20% of CFOs said they are cutting their on-premise technology spending with 12% planning the same move.
- 13% of CFOs have already cut real estate expenses with another 9% planning cuts in the months to come.
Remote Work Needs A Better Model Of IT Support
If you agree with the CFOs surveyed by Gartner, then you need to consider your model of IT support. As you and the other c-level executives at your business have likely discovered since the start of the pandemic, your ability to work remotely depends directly on your IT support.
In the remote setting, technology is necessary so that you and your staff can:
- Access files, applications, and systems from a remote setting
- Collaborate with colleagues, partners, and customers via video conferencing solutions
- Stay secure against the increased rate of phishing attacks related to the pandemic
- Maintain communications with cloud-based phone systems that keep staff connected
Have you found that an internal IT team is capable of handling all this?
It’s understandable if your internal IT team has been struggling to keep your staff supported – many business’ IT support processes were not developed with a remote model in mind. If your team hasn’t been able to deliver the support required, it’s likely led to some issues:
- Poor functionality for remote solutions deployed at staff members’ homes
- Compromised security in your extended network of home offices
- Less value for the investment you’ve made in your IT support
Harness Outsourced IT Services – Designed For Remote IT Support
Outsourcing your IT services can get you and your team the IT support you need, likely at a more cost-effective rate. These IT companies are already experienced in delivering remote support solutions where applicable and visiting on-site when necessary.
By migrating to an outsourced IT service, you can avoid a number of expenses that come with managing your own internal IT:
- Employment Costs: An in-house IT team can cost a lot to manage and maintain. To be effective, IT service and support requires up-to-date skills and expertise. There are additional expenses on top of the salary to consider. For example, holidays, and the coverage while your network administrator is away. When you consider all of this, just one network administrator can cost you even more than a standard salary.
- Ongoing Training and Certifications: With cybercrime and other threats to your business, you must ensure your IT staff is trained on the latest cybersecurity tactics. In addition, software, hardware, and cloud solutions are constantly evolving. To provide the most cost-effective IT solutions, your IT personnel should attend vendor training and stay up on certifications that expire. These training and certification expenses can really mount up and may involve travel expenses as well.
With outsourced IT services from Advantage Industries, you’ll have access to a team of IT experts with a breadth and depth of tech knowledge and experience — something most businesses could never afford with an in-house IT staff.
Advantage Industries is a Managed Security Service Provider (MSSP) providing practical networking and software solutions, as well as web site and application creation services. For nearly two decades, Advantage has worked collaboratively with hundreds of clients in understanding complex business processes, identifying needs, and providing recommendations tied with sound technology solutions custom-tailored to their business.